SAS! The only way to dive!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revell Type IX in 1/72

Default Revell Type IX in 1/72

I saw this posted on SC. http://www.plastik-modellbau.org/wp-...t-Typ-IX-C.jpg
    Be still my beating heart.....modeled after the U505
    Oh if Revell would do the same for the Balao!
    Looks like 2013 is going to be a great year Type XXI 1/35 and now Type IX 1/72!
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

That will be a must have purchase. David, better get to work!

http://www.plastik-modellbau.org/blo...ten-2013/2013/

I see its already available for pre-order in the UK but they appear to be a bit optimistic when it comes to availability dates.

http://www.boystownmilitaryminiature...0_7537019.aspx

Pretty much the same arrangement as their Type-7. Can't wait to work up a fittings kit and SD for this ocean-going beast. Good going Revell of Germany!

I've got their VIIC kit, this would make a great mate for it.. I remember a lot of guys saying Revell would probably never make a kit of this boat, and to not keep your hopes up for one to appear.

Another one to add to my "wish I had it" list.
    1. Revell Type VIIC/41
    2. Revell Gato
    3. Moebius Skipjack
    4. Special Navy Type II
    5. Bronco Type XXIII

Got to finish my "you know what" before "you know who" comes over and kicks me in gluteus maximus.
    Still got a 1/144 Seawolf and 1/72 Type VIIC in the closet.
    Last edited by redboat219; 01-02-2013 at 12:57 PM.
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Just got Revell's newsletter

Here is what it says about the kit:

German Submarine Type IX C
    Along with the "Type VII" the "Type IX " submarines were amongst the most numerous and successful submarines of the German Navy during World War II. They were fully ocean going and could therefore operate directly adjacent to the U.S. Atlantic Coastline and intercept Allied resupply convoys. A total of 243 "U-Boats" were built, of which alone 141 were type "IX C".
    The "Type IX C" submarine appears in the version "U 505" with the "Type III" Conning Tower. This U-Boat was the only German U-boat during World War II that was forced to surface and captured by American ships. After painstaking restoration, it now resides in a museum in Chicago.
    Item no. 05114
    Scale 1/72
    Release Date: 11/2013
    So, Nov. 2013. Just in time for Christmas. Must finish what I have before looking at this. I gotta say, this is really exciting to see quality kits coming out. Revell has done a great job on their Gato and Type VII, so I have little doubt that this one will be as good or better (especially since it is focused on one sub).
    Last edited by trout; 01-03-2013 at 01:18 PM.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Trout, notice the picture up above that Warpatroller posted. It has that funny sonar dome. Cool!
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Yes that is cool.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by trout; 01-03-2013 at 03:07 PM. Reason: more research needed

Tom,

That funny dome is called, Gruppen Horch Gerat, or Balcony gerat, giving the boat a much better way to listen around at a much bigger angle compared to the devices placed near the forward divingplanes.
    Revell did a nice job, a nice addition to the type VII, if they decide to make one at 1/35 i'm in.

Manfred.
    Fertig zum unterwasser.

Manfred, Thank you for that info. I was trying to remember when I was in Chicago (before the U-505 was moved indoors) if the U-505 had the Gruppen Horch Gerat. The pictures I am finding show something, but looks further back on the keel, as if it is the keel proper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information