Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and expectations

Hello, and welcome to the forums at the Nautilus Drydocks, formerly Sub-driver.com!

We welcome anyone with a passion for submarines and a desire to learn and share knowledge about this fascinating hobby. Use of these forums indicates your intention to abide by our code of conduct:


1. No spam. All automated messages, advertisements, and links to competitor websites will be deleted immediately.

2. Please post in relevant sub-forums only. Messages posted in the wrong topic area will be removed and placed in the correct sub-forum by moderators.

3. Respect other users. No flaming or abusing fellow forum members. Users who continue to post inflammatory, abusive comments will be deleted from the forum after or without a warning.

4. No threats or harassment of other users will be tolerated. Any instance of threatening or harassing behavior is grounds for deletion from the forums.

5. No profanity or pornography is allowed. Posts containing adult material will be deleted.

6. No re-posting of copyrighted materials or other illegal content is allowed. Any posts containing illegal content or copyrighted materials will be deleted.
See more
See less

1:72 Revell Skipjack - modifying to USS Shark final refit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 1:72 Revell Skipjack - modifying to USS Shark final refit



    Time I started this build thread. I have been given a new dive module to test run in a model. This build was supposed to be straight out the box. So I took a break from my other sub project to get on with this quick job. ..As usual though I couldn't resist putting my mark on this build and have already started modifying the kit.

    Progress so far: started by fitting running gear whilst stern is still accessible. Stainless steel shaft running in brass bearing. This didn't go smoothly - even though I drilled the brass through on my model lathe the hole ended up very 'scorred' inside, like the rifling of a gun barrel! (Are there special drills which make nice smooth holes in brass?) So I ended up drilling the brass bearing oversize and purchased a ready made bronze bush which is a nice snug fit. Runs nice and smooth. I went for the seven bladed scimitar prop because Skipjacks converted to them part way through their service life, and mine is going to be Shark in her final refit form.

    Attached Files

  • #2
    Stern Planes

    I used the kit parts and inserted brass rod to make them sturdy operational control surfaces. I also modified the stern plane outlines to include the cut outs near the stern plane bearings. The rudders seem to have these cutouts too. Here's an interesting photo to show where I am going with these.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	p002.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	121856
    Click image for larger version

Name:	scamp stern planes.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	366.9 KB
ID:	121857

    Comment


    • #3
      Stern planes - oil canning

      Next I have glued some Evergreen strip where the structural ribs would be, and then filled up in between using Milliput epoxy putty. I do intend a subtle effect for the finished appearance. But I do want Shark to look more beaten than when first launched. To get the rib detail authentic I referenced this pic of Scorpions unfortunate crumpled wreck. This photo also gave clues as to how the stern plane was fitted and removed on the real thing. There appears a separate bolt on end section which formed the outer hinge point. I noted hat the outer hinge point on my model looked quite fragile - the outer hinge pin is only hanging on by a few mm of plastic. I decided my RC model would benefit greatly by making a similar scaled down section out of brass. I cut a long notch out of my stern guards to match the real ones and fashioned brass end plates to replace the outer hinge points. These are held in place by two stainless screws, countersunk so they will be hidden. Milliput epoxy putty was applied into the stern guard area and the stainless screws were covered with grease before being pushed in and covered over. When the Milliput had fully set (overnight) the screws could be unscrewed so work could continue.

      Click image for larger version

Name:	tailfin.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	337.9 KB
ID:	121859

      Click image for larger version

Name:	P003.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	121860

      Click image for larger version

Name:	P004.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	121861


      Click image for larger version

Name:	P005.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	121862


      Click image for larger version

Name:	P006.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	121863


      Note rudder bearing has been moved back 1/8th inch and original kit hole filled in, as per Dave's instructions.

      Comment


      • #4
        Work continues . Note : Rudder hinge has also been moved back from kit position to match new rudder bearing position. The stern upper hull section is now glued in place. More Evergreen strip glued down. Milliput to follow.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	P007.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	121865


        Click image for larger version

Name:	P008.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	121866


        Click image for larger version

Name:	P010.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	121867

        Comment


        • #5
          Click image for larger version

Name:	P011.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	122018

          Finished filling sanding process port side. Ready now for a bit of primer to tie it all together and see what the final effect is going to look like.
          Last edited by steveuk; 06-23-2017, 08:57 PM.

          Comment

          Working...
          X