Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and expectations

Hello, and welcome to the forums at the Nautilus Drydocks, formerly Sub-driver.com!

We welcome anyone with a passion for submarines and a desire to learn and share knowledge about this fascinating hobby. Use of these forums indicates your intention to abide by our code of conduct:


1. No spam. All automated messages, advertisements, and links to competitor websites will be deleted immediately.

2. Please post in relevant sub-forums only. Messages posted in the wrong topic area will be removed and placed in the correct sub-forum by moderators.

3. Respect other users. No flaming or abusing fellow forum members. Users who continue to post inflammatory, abusive comments will be deleted from the forum after or without a warning.

4. No threats or harassment of other users will be tolerated. Any instance of threatening or harassing behavior is grounds for deletion from the forums.

5. No profanity or pornography is allowed. Posts containing adult material will be deleted.

6. No re-posting of copyrighted materials or other illegal content is allowed. Any posts containing illegal content or copyrighted materials will be deleted.
See more
See less

New SD issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New SD issue

    Iím working on my 2.5Ē engine deck. I inserted the control rods for the rudder and aft diving planes thru the o-rings and connected them to the servos. When I test the system, the torque from the servos causes the engine deck to flex and it does not move the control rods. Iíve tried sliding the rods back and forth to loosen up the o-ring, but Iím having no luck. Iím using 1/16Ē brass rod. Any comments out there?????

    Thank you
    Farlan Clutters

  • #2
    You have to keep bending the push-rods till there is next to zero flexing. You must use silicon grease on the rods as well. Petroleum based oil will only make them stick.

    Is this for the SD cylinder I just fixed for you? It went out to you last week, by the way.

    David
    "... well, that takes care of Jorgenson's theory!"

    Comment


    • #3
      Yes it is.....ill keep working on it

      Comment


      • #4
        Farlan,
        Sometimes the o-ring in those can be tight. If you tried what David said and it is still tight, you have several options. The first is take a new piece of 1/16th in rod and run it in and out and turn it to. This may be sufficient. If not you could lightly steel wool or extremely fine sandpaper your pushrod. This will let it pass smoothly, but done too much and can leak. If you do not want to do that the next two suggestions can compromise the o-ring and you may have to replace,
        You could take the piece of rod and score it with sandpaper. Then place it in the hole with silicone grease. Turning the rod will remove a small mount of rubber. Test and redo as necessary. This final way was recommended by David on my Gato. Take a 1/16 drill bit and run it through. David said the rubber will squish around the bit and knock some of the resin down and reseat the o-ring. He said if it does not work, I knew where I could get another seal.

        Seal replacing is easy to do.
        Last edited by trout; 05-13-2018, 09:36 PM.
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

        Comment


        • #5
          I'll try it! Thx!

          Comment


          • #6
            Got it working! Thanks for all the help!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by secrtwpn View Post
              Got it working! Thanks for all the help!
              Excellent! Go forth and sin no more.

              David
              "... well, that takes care of Jorgenson's theory!"

              Comment

              Working...
              X