Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and expectations

Hello, and welcome to the forums at the Nautilus Drydocks, formerly Sub-driver.com!

We welcome anyone with a passion for submarines and a desire to learn and share knowledge about this fascinating hobby. Use of these forums indicates your intention to abide by our code of conduct:


1. No spam. All automated messages, advertisements, and links to competitor websites will be deleted immediately.

2. Please post in relevant sub-forums only. Messages posted in the wrong topic area will be removed and placed in the correct sub-forum by moderators.

3. Respect other users. No flaming or abusing fellow forum members. Users who continue to post inflammatory, abusive comments will be deleted from the forum after or without a warning.

4. No threats or harassment of other users will be tolerated. Any instance of threatening or harassing behavior is grounds for deletion from the forums.

5. No profanity or pornography is allowed. Posts containing adult material will be deleted.

6. No re-posting of copyrighted materials or other illegal content is allowed. Any posts containing illegal content or copyrighted materials will be deleted.
See more
See less

How To help Needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How To help Needed

    Hello
    I have a build project that is NOT a submarine BUT I need some advice from here. I have a tracked vehicle build that is both land and water capable. It is a water surface runner but the the drive shafts go through the hull to the track sprockets. How do I seal that shaft so that water will not find it`s way inside and still have smooth shaft rotation to drive the sprockets?
    Pictures work best for me.
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    George

  • #2

    Originally posted by george View Post
    Hello
    I have a build project that is NOT a submarine BUT I need some advice from here. I have a tracked vehicle build that is both land and water capable. It is a water surface runner but the the drive shafts go through the hull to the track sprockets. How do I seal that shaft so that water will not find it`s way inside and still have smooth shaft rotation to drive the sprockets?
    Pictures work best for me.
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    George
    That sounds familiar! Look at this: https://youtu.be/nWrWKm95kCE (1:37) Dennis Allen's amphibian.

    I recommend cup-type seals. Like these:



















    David
    "... well, that takes care of Jorgenson's theory!"

    Comment


    • #3
      You ask for pictures... ;)

      Comment


      • #4
        Yes, That looks like the answer! I just have to measure and find the right diameter cup seals and brass. Thanks for your time and help and Yes my build is the same thing BUT in 1/16.
        Thanks again for your help and Sorry for the late reply.
        George

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by george View Post
          Yes, That looks like the answer! I just have to measure and find the right diameter cup seals and brass. Thanks for your time and help and Yes my build is the same thing BUT in 1/16.
          Thanks again for your help and Sorry for the late reply.
          George
          Keep us informed on how it goes.

          David
          "... well, that takes care of Jorgenson's theory!"

          Comment


          • #6
            Yes Sir! Thanks again for your help.
            Who is the Best source for cup seals, McMaster Carr?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by george View Post
              Yes Sir! Thanks again for your help.
              Who is the Best source for cup seals, McMaster Carr?
              They don't have them. The Internet is your friend.

              David
              "... well, that takes care of Jorgenson's theory!"

              Comment

              Working...
              X