Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and expectations

Hello, and welcome to the forums at the Nautilus Drydocks, formerly Sub-driver.com!

We welcome anyone with a passion for submarines and a desire to learn and share knowledge about this fascinating hobby. Use of these forums indicates your intention to abide by our code of conduct:


1. No spam. All automated messages, advertisements, and links to competitor websites will be deleted immediately.

2. Please post in relevant sub-forums only. Messages posted in the wrong topic area will be removed and placed in the correct sub-forum by moderators.

3. Respect other users. No flaming or abusing fellow forum members. Users who continue to post inflammatory, abusive comments will be deleted from the forum after or without a warning.

4. No threats or harassment of other users will be tolerated. Any instance of threatening or harassing behavior is grounds for deletion from the forums.

5. No profanity or pornography is allowed. Posts containing adult material will be deleted.

6. No re-posting of copyrighted materials or other illegal content is allowed. Any posts containing illegal content or copyrighted materials will be deleted.
See more
See less

Typical 1/72 Torpedo Production

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Typical 1/72 Torpedo Production

    I've been snowed under in work of late. But, I do try to keep the camera busy as I work. Here are some shots that reveal just some of the production techniques employed as I create gas-propelled 1/72 torpedo's:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3686 - Copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	102190Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3705.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	102191Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3706.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	102192Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3707.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	102193Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3767.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	102194Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3768.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	102195Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3774.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	102196Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3775.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	102197

    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3697.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	102187Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3698.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	102188Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3699.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	102189
    "... well, that takes care of Jorgenson's theory!"

  • #2
    Perhaps those will be the only torps US Navy will have available for next months after yesterday`s budget cuts. Something similar is happenning here to our Armed Services.

    Comment


    • #3
      Nice marking jig. How do you hold the torpedo?
      Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

      Comment


      • #4
        Very carefully! ....

        .... finish your damned KILO!!!!!
        "... well, that takes care of Jorgenson's theory!"

        Comment


        • #5
          Hello HWSNBN
          Could you tell me the size of the exhaust gas tube in the 1/72 torpedo used? Also what is the size of the O-ring in the breach block that holds the torpedo exhaust gas tube for charging and it supplier?
          Thanks for your Help and Time.
          George

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by george View Post
            Hello HWSNBN
            Could you tell me the size of the exhaust gas tube in the 1/72 torpedo used? Also what is the size of the O-ring in the breach block that holds the torpedo exhaust gas tube for charging and it supplier?
            Thanks for your Help and Time.
            George
            The nozzle diameter at the throat is .005". It is formed from a resin insert set into the after end of the 1/16" o.d. aluminum tube that passes the gas from within the torpedo to the nozzle. The sealing 0-ring in the breach block is 1/16" i.d. I purchase both the aluminum tube and O-rings from Mcmaster-Carr.

            David
            "... well, that takes care of Jorgenson's theory!"

            Comment


            • #7
              Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0017 (3).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	115863 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0015 (3).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	115864 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0032 - Copy.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	115865 Click image for larger version

Name:	031 (2).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	115862

              jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj
              "... well, that takes care of Jorgenson's theory!"

              Comment


              • #8
                Hello HWSNBN
                Thank You Sir for your Help / Time. Could you please explain one thing more? Your point "a resin insert set into the after end of the 1/16" o.d. aluminum tube" does that mean you glued into the tube a resin rod that you then drill out OR do you mix up some resin compound and push a little into the tube and let dry then you glue that for the exhaust gas to pass?

                Final bother, I have for reference your 1/72 torpedo that you gave me. Would you happen to have a Single 1/96 production torpedo that you could part with?

                Please let me know and Thanks Again for your Help.

                George Tonkovic
                Fennell Ave., East
                Hamilton, Ontario,
                Canada
                L8V-1T6

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by george View Post
                  Hello HWSNBN
                  Thank You Sir for your Help / Time. Could you please explain one thing more? Your point "a resin insert set into the after end of the 1/16" o.d. aluminum tube" does that mean you glued into the tube a resin rod that you then drill out OR do you mix up some resin compound and push a little into the tube and let dry then you glue that for the exhaust gas to pass?

                  Final bother, I have for reference your 1/72 torpedo that you gave me. Would you happen to have a Single 1/96 production torpedo that you could part with?

                  Please let me know and Thanks Again for your Help.

                  George Tonkovic
                  Fennell Ave., East
                  Hamilton, Ontario,
                  Canada
                  L8V-1T6
                  It's a resin rod. I place a drop of glue at an end and jam it 1/8" into the after end of the aluminum tube. I chuck the tube in the lath and bore out a .005" bore forming the throat of the nozzle. An inside bevel tool produces the internal flared nozzle.

                  Click image for larger version

Name:	008.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	115887 Click image for larger version

Name:	020 (2).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	115888 Click image for larger version

Name:	024 (2).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	115889

                  Click image for larger version

Name:	034 (2).JPG
Views:	3
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	115892

                  Click image for larger version

Name:	038 (3).JPG
Views:	2
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	115894



                  The 1/96 weapons are long gone or buried in the sheds. Sorry.

                  M
                  Attached Files
                  "... well, that takes care of Jorgenson's theory!"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Hello Again

                    OK Thank You for ALL the information and tips. IT is VERY Inspirational!!!! Would you know the size of the 1/96 Torpedo? Also from the pictures you sent me, it looks like the aluminum tube goes a fair length into the torpedo body, would you remember what it`s total length is? I have a completed one from you BUT I can`t bring myself to cut it up, it`s too dam nice looking, to me.

                    George

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Sorry I forgot to ask, about your pictured hand held brass device to pressure test your torpedo under water for leaks etc. Can you show a picture of it with parts detail comments?
                      Thanks Again
                      George

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Hello
                        Could you please confirm "I chuck the tube in the lath and bore out a .005" bore forming the throat of the nozzle." 0.005" drill bit ???????????? Aint never seen such a small diameter drill bit.
                        George

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          To: Mr. HWSNBN
                          Thank You for your past help with your torpedo production information. I was able to see what your "0.005" " drill bit looks like and understand that one.

                          I have a question about your extra hand held torpedo launch "jig" that you show in pictures 7 & 8. I am near to making my first torpedo under your technique. I would like to test "fire" it in my friends pool before we get ice here in Canada. IT looks like you used one of your charging breaches mounted on a flat brass stock with a pressure hose going to a firing ( brass device ) with a pressure hose from that going off the screen to what? What is the firing device and what is your source of main air pressure?

                          Can you tell me what size your main brass plug is that you used to make the cavity inside your 1/72 torpedo and the size of the nose plug for the torpedo also?

                          Thanks Again for your Help.
                          George

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by george View Post
                            To: Mr. HWSNBN
                            Thank You for your past help with your torpedo production information. I was able to see what your "0.005" " drill bit looks like and understand that one.

                            I have a question about your extra hand held torpedo launch "jig" that you show in pictures 7 & 8. I am near to making my first torpedo under your technique. I would like to test "fire" it in my friends pool before we get ice here in Canada. IT looks like you used one of your charging breaches mounted on a flat brass stock with a pressure hose going to a firing ( brass device ) with a pressure hose from that going off the screen to what? What is the firing device and what is your source of main air pressure?

                            Can you tell me what size your main brass plug is that you used to make the cavity inside your 1/72 torpedo and the size of the nose plug for the torpedo also?

                            Thanks Again for your Help.
                            George
                            When I get the time (snowed under right now) I'll scan the shop notes and forward them to this thread -- would save me a lot of time answering specific questions.

                            I always launch a weapon from a launcher. That device you described is part of the testing methodology each weapon goes through before being certified, RFI. It simply charges the weapon as I dunk it in water looking for gas leaks. It is not a launcher.

                            Click image for larger version

Name:	008.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	115946


                            Click image for larger version

Name:	007.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	115947


                            This is a launcher

                            Click image for larger version

Name:	054.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	115948


                            Click image for larger version

Name:	067.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	115949


                            Click image for larger version

Name:	068.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	115950



                            Attached Files
                            "... well, that takes care of Jorgenson's theory!"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Hello
                              O.K I will await your posting of your notes. And Thank You again for your help with this.
                              George

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X